Thursday 31 March 2011

React

There are a lot of things that annoy me and my family know how to do most of them instinctively. Most of them aren't justifiable in any way, but when you're a twenty two year old guy living at home all those years, rationality starts to fly somewhere along the way.

When someone really gets under my skin I see in myself a usual progression; seething and angry, aware of the anger, and then mellow, melancholic, apathetic and unmotivated. Originally that progression would have taken a number of hours to work through, but these days I can move from the offending moment to dummed out gazing at reddit in about 40 seconds.

The problem I have with this isn't the easy offence or any of the obvious things. The problem is the apathy and melancholy that floods in quickly afterward in an attempt to suppress the anger, and that once I'm there I find it hard to achieve.

And so in a backward way I find myself wanting to be angry a lot, because if I'm angry I can achieve; I can roll with the emotion and knock down tasks in record speed; always winning.

While I don't know if it would an eternal win to be almost permanently angry at home, it'd probably better than not the inertia of unacknowledged emotion.