Friday 9 May 2014

Revelation Junkies

After a long hiatus, I have returned to look at this blog. This is pretty normal for most of the blogs I've read. Half the posts are spaced by about three months and spend the first few paragraphs apologising to their non-existent readers.

Dear reader(s), I am not sorry. There will probably not be any more rapid updates. The three of you will just have to wallow in despair like a Song of Ice and Fire fan.

While looking at these other blogs, I noticed pattern that crops up in a lot of my most introspective friends. After a period of fruitful self analysis, it's easy to become a revelation junkie.

The journey to that point goes like this: 
1. They feel a little down in life
2. They analyse themselves and come up with some insightful revelations
3. This gives a great buzz and after implementing them, their lives improve
4. They repeat steps 2 and 3 a few times
5. The laws of diminishing returns start to kick in.

After a while, the revelations become as small as "avocados have changed my life" but they still write and talk about them on the same level as "I made peace with who I am". Swarths of text and hours of conversation wind up focusing on the weekly in-vogue wisdom.

This in itself isn't a bad thing. Continuous improvement is good. But the newest revelation often shrouds the last one, and stops them from every finishing out a good plan.

It always amazes me how little you can do in a week and how much you can do in a year. When you make a plan, the start is easy but the end is where the results are.

Ideas and revelations are only the first step.