Sunday 13 October 2013

Art, Background, and Context


Art commentary really bugs me, largely because the language surrounding art is completely illequiped to describe its impact on the average person.

When I look at art I will be struck by the technical expertise, whether I like it or not, and an emotion. Speculating as to what it "means" is making the rather large assumption that it was designed with an intended meaning, and that the artist was actually able to communicate that meaning above all others you may accidentally pick up on.

However, despite my protestation, this "depth and meaning" has come to be of considerable importance to the value of art, and thus must be included in it. Were one, say, to produce an extraordinary album, one surely must have a good story of how it came about.