Tuesday 20 December 2011

Christmas for the Godless

I'm told Christmas is meant to be a little different when you don't think the Christian god is real, or when you're not compelled to celebrate the birth of a child that he implanted a virgin. Personally, I see it a little differently. The stories are all there, like when you're a kid and the floor is lava; it's a game full of charm and wonder. I'll just stop playing when I go back to work on Monday.

For this Christmas I will be drawing on a wild variety of traditions, instead of just Christian. I'll celebrate it around the winter solstice like Orisis, an Egyptian god who battled evil, died and is now judge of the dead. I'll probably have a feast and "Yule" celebration like the Germanic pagans did too. I'll even have a Nordic tree, and decorate it like the Romans would have for fertility. I'll swop gifts like at the Saturnalia, and might squeeze in Coca-Cola's red Santa Claus. Eventually we'll celebrate the famous mother and child from the 3,000BC to 400AD Greko-Roman world, Isis and Horus.

I know it sounds messy to work so many together, but I'm going to try. Anyone with me?